View the blog in Your language:

Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Intel Core i7 3820, ASUS GTX 770 OC DCUII (2GB), 32GB RAM in a budget case (pre-review).

Not that long ago i upgraded my Intel based computer out of two reasons, it was beginning to show signs of aging and i could definately benefit emotionally of a new system since this Intel Core2Duo 2.13ghz was around 7 years or so old.


So, after switching to some used parts i got from a friend i decided to get brand new stuff so first i upgraded the motherboard, the CPU, the RAM and the graphics card.
I have to admit that i wasn't very upgraded regarding my knowledge of the market at the time so when friends heard about my new system they immediately identified the bottleneck (and rightfully so from time to time mocked me about it), Nvidia GT 630 (4gb version).

To my defense, those 4gb GPU RAM sure looked sweet theoretically.

Anyhow, i replaced it with a Asus GTX770 OC DCUII (2gb version) and still kept my old case for the challenge (and the cool looks of a pretty sweet computer with an older budget case).

My cooling adventure had begun.

The old case.

The old and PSU that replaced my even older budget PSU.

No more old used stuff, the goodies are delivered:
ASUS P9X79 (motherboard).
Intel Thermal Solution Socket 2011 (CPU cooler).
Corsair Vengeance 32gb (RAM).
Intel i7 3820 (CPU).

When looking back, that old case sure was pretty ugly.

More goodies, that HDD kit came in handy later on.
ASUS DirectCU II OC (graphics card).
Lian Li Expansion HDD Kit (HDD cooler).
be quiet! 630w (power supply unit).
be quiet! Shadow Wings 80mm (chassis fan).

I have to admit that i really dig the looks of that graphics card (and the sweet case it came in).

Assembled but not optimal (to say the least).

The old case and the Lian Li! assembled.

I must have placed that poor 80mm fan everywhere it could fit in the box and in all directions.

Another solution i tried, an old CPU fan(?) with directional "air cannon".
Please not the two added Titan PCI fans (used for blowing air out of the case).

Well, if two can get a good amount of air out of the computer why not use three?

At this stage i was becoming desperate with my limited options with the case.



Coming up: How to mod a budget case for optimal airflow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice guise.